Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Birding From Dawn ‘till Dusk Day 5 Ramsey Canyon

DSC_0154 With only a short break for lunch we were soon on the trail up Ramsey Canyon. Ramsey Canyon is own and operated by the nature conservancy. The $5.00 you pay to get in is well worth the experience. A perennial stream flows down the mountain side, a refreshing sight and sound here in the desert.

DSC_0156 The creek is bordered by Sycamore trees.  I love the speckled bark and the sculptural shape.

DSC_0160 This female broad-tailed hummingbird fluttered about in the limbs along the trail.

DSC_0187 Like long green tresses the leaves of this tree fluttered in the breeze making me believe in wood nymphs and sylphs.

DSC_0191

We stayed as long as we could, but soon the gates would be locked and we had to leave. As we exited to the parking lot this Cooper’s hawk stood guard in the sycamore overhanging the creek, a watcher in the woods and king of all he surveyed.

We did not see many birds here but we saw some important ones, including a Magnificent Hummingbird, another Lifer for Kathryn. The sun was setting as we drove up the road into Sycamore Canyon, tired but content with a long day of birding and comfortable companionship.

Birds Seen at Ramsey Canyon:

Location: Ramsey Canyon Preserve
Observation date: 4/11/10
Notes: w/Kathryn - walked to first overlook view.
Number of species: 7
Cooper's Hawk 1
White-winged Dove 1
Magnificent Hummingbird 1
Black-chinned Hummingbird 2
Acorn Woodpecker 1
Mexican Jay 6
Pine Siskin 12

Kathryn also saw 3 pygmy nuthatches in the parking lot when we first arrived. I was too busy getting stuff out of the car and I didn’t look.  Stupid me! another Lifer for Kathryn!  I have seen them on MT Lemmon near Tucson, but that’s the only place.

3 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

I visited Ramsey Canyon once and I'd love to go back. I had two life birds there Painted Redstart and Yellow-eyed Junco. I still remember sitting under a grove of trees there watching a mixed flock of warblers and nuthatches that blew my mind. What a great place!

Gaelyn said...

I too like the speckled bark on the Sycamore which I saw at Montezumas Castle. More wonderful birding Kathie. Surely you've seen a few of the little people along the way.

Kathie Brown said...

Idaho Birder, on my first visit to Ramsey I saw 3 lifers: the sulphur-bellied flycatcher, the painted redstart and the Arizona woodpecker. I already want to go back again!

gaelyn, perhaps I have!