Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My World: On the Road to Rodeo

On the Road to Rodeo by Kathie 10-25-08 1/1250 sec-F 5.6

The New Mexico Mountains before me offer layer upon layer of enticement. The undulating road disappears into the mountain haze and I feel like we are entering a dream.

Sculpture Rocks by Kathie 10-25-08 1/200sec-F10


To the west the many rock formations appear as random sculptures in the landscape. We travel on into the afternoon haze. I have my eyes open for any bird movement anywhere, but all I see are red-tail hawks every few miles atop the utility poles. By the time we reach Rodeo I will have counted 6 red-tails, 16 mourning doves, 3 ravens and 1 kestrel.


We pull over near a historical marker on the main street. I feel like I have gone back in time at least 75 years.


Art Gallery by Kathie 10-25-08 1/500 sec-F5.6

Across the road what looks like a former church has been converted into an art gallery. It looks closed or I might be tempted to wander about, but the light is fading fast and we have a mountain range to cross.


Just before I hop back in the car I spot a different dove in the silver tangled branches of a dead tree. Its grayish tail band and black neck ring identify it as a Eurasian collared dove. It is the last bird I get to count in New Mexico. We turn Birdie back north and travel 4 miles to Portal Road. Here we head west towards the Chiricahua Mountains and Arizona. It isn’t long before we are back on native ground.


To be continued…


Visit MY WORLD TUESDAY to see other fantastic photos from around the globe.

This story begins with yesterday's post, Someplace Else.

Come back on Thursday to read the rest of the story on Skywatch Friday.

Click on any photo to enlarge for better viewing.



Sycamore Canyon Weather: Sunny, windy, 76 degrees Fahrenheit at 11:15 a.m. October 28, 2008 MST. Not a cloud in the sky.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your world has a lot to offer. That road is "undulating" indeed!

And I know why you have no clouds - they are all in Michigan!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Kathie That road in your world is amazing.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Most interesting road as well as the other scenery.

Anonymous said...

Very nice photography and the narrative with it is compelling too. I wish you could have gotten in the gallery.

Arija said...

Great trip Kathie, and I love that striped road!, running like a giant ribbon through the landscape.

bookbabie said...

Nice series of pics, I especially like the road shot on the top:)

Jack and Joann said...

I've been on that stretch of road. My husband's mother lived in Bowie and his sister still lives in Wilcox. We have hiked up in the Chirachuas and been to old Fort Bowie.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful shot of that road and backdrop

Oman said...

Thank you for the wonderful tour. This 2nd week of meme really makes us appreciate the many places that we don't usually see or ever had a chance to visit like the one you showed me in this post. Hope you get to have time to check my world too. Another great job and more to come in the coming weeks.

Vickie said...

I love that first photo of those layered mountains and that undulating road. Nice idea...to just go because I feel like it.

Amila Salgado said...

Beautiful shot the first one.
Nice blue mountains add to the visual effect.

Deborah Godin said...

Enjoying your road trip diary. And that is one "wavy-gravy" road, for sure - hope you remembered the Gravol!!

Louise said...

Nice post! I've only lived in NM for 6 years, and I'm sure I've never seen the road you captured. I love the layered mountains. I KNOW I have never ever HEARD of the town!

Shelley said...

you make me want to drive down that road!

bobbie said...

The road in your first photo looks like an actual ribbon, stretching over the hill. Beautiful.

abb said...

I'm loving this journey...

Ladynred said...

Beautiful pictures. love the mountains.
Travelherethere

Elisabeth said...

Nice pictures. The first one is... WOW!

Margaret Cloud said...

Another great post, I always stop and read historical markers, they are very interesting.