Friday, January 1, 2010

Big January 2010

Mesquite Tree full of birds

Big January is upon us. It's that time of year when all mad birders start counting birds at the stroke of midnight. For the next month we will have a friendly competition to see who can see the most species of birds in their own state in the month of January. Larry of the Brownstone Birding Blog is the one who got me started with this 3 years ago. He beat me the first year but I beat him in 2009. Who will be this year's champion? We shall see. I awoke around 7:45 this morning, crept quietly to my patio door and peeked around the corner to see which species would be my First Bird of 2010...

Lesser goldfinch 1st bird of 2010

In a tree full of birds I saw the lesser goldfinch first. Then I started counting. With blue skies streaked with high thin clouds, and a brisk breeze teasing the branches the air still feels relatively warm at 46 degrees. The forecast highs for today are in the high 60's. Not too bad for January 1st!


Rock Wren in my backyard 12-15-09


Hungry Gila woodpecker 12-14-09






Big January Bird list 2010
  1. Lesser goldfinch
  2. Housefinch
  3. House sparrow
  4. Mourning Dove
  5. Costa's Hummingbirds
  6. Pigeon
  7. Gila woodpecker
  8. Gilded flicker
  9. Cactus Wren
  10. Rock wren
  11. Bewick's wren
  12. Pyrrhuloxia

These birds were all spotted in and from my yard so far this morning. I will add to the list throughout the day. In all honesty, these photos were all taken in mid December but the same species are still in my yard in the same tree and hanging from the same feeders! (I'm in a hurry here!) Okay, I'm off to do more birding!

Happy Birdy New Year!

Let me know if you plan to participate. I'd like to compile a list of those who are!

Big January 2009

If you click on the label below for Big January it will pull up all posts regarding this subject if you are interested!

9 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Have fun counting Kathie.

Anonymous said...

Thats a very good start Kathie.

Larry said...

Nice start! I'll post an update by Sunday.Usually the first 60 come fairly easily.After that-things slow down quite a bit.I had to work today but have about a dozen birds so far.

Birding is Fun! said...

Today's Report from Robert in Idaho: 29 Species including 1 lifer, 12 checklists submitted to eBird!

Kathryn said...

While I don't think I even have a chance, I did count 8 species while casually glancing out the window today. 16 wild turkeys are in the area right now. Funny to watch them cross the snow covered yard in single file.

Quiet Paths said...

What a truly innovative way to welcome in the new year. Fun! I really, really like the wren photo. Great shot!

Celeste said...

That is a great challenge, one which I feel sure you will rise to superbly. Happy New Year Kathie and thank you so much for the beautiful card.

Ruth said...

I am taking the challenge as well this month but nearly got frostbitten fingers yesterday on the trail at -20 temps(had to give up on the camera). The local birds are hiding in this bitter cold. I love your warm pictures

Kathie Brown said...

Robert, that's just great! I am so glad you joined! Congrats on the lifer!

Gaelyn, you know I will!

Thanks Roy!

Larry, I am off to a bit of a slow sart also due to grandkids still here and compouter problems but I hope to get going tomorrow.

Katnell, I am so glad you are counting! Are you submitting your counts to eBird? They really need data from your county. Hardly anyone counts there.

Quiet Paths, Larry is the one who got me started. I could never do a Big Year, but a Big January is fun and managable!

Celeste, you know I will try my darndest. I am so glad you liked your card.

Ruth, you sure are dedicated to go out in that cold! I hope it warms up for you soon.