Thursday, January 14, 2010

Big January Big News

Announcing: the engagement of my daughter, Renee to her long-time boyfriend Randy on December 25, 2009. After all the gifts were opened, Randy got down on one knee and surprised her and all of us with an engagement ring! Welcome to the Family Randy! Congratulations to them both!

This was the first Christmas since 2003 for almost all of us to be together. Only the youngest child and his wife were missing and with good reason.

Announcing: the birth of Natalie Brown on December 26, 2009! Natalie weighed in at a hefty 9 pounds! She is healthy and well and I am aching to go and see her in Kentucky where her daddy is now stationed! If I have my way, we will be driving there and I will be bird watching all the way! Congratulations Alex and Diane! I will post pictures as soon as I can get some!

If you haven't heard from me in awhile its because a lot has been going on around here. I had one day off after my grandkids returned to Maine and I spent that at Sweetwater Wetlands. The very next day my oldest son had surgery on his ankle and I have been helping to watch my youngest grandson ever since. To make things even more complicated, Gus was sick for 4 days and by the time he was feeling better I got a stomach flu that kept me down for the first 2 days of this week. Today was the first day I felt better and I abandoned my house work and fled to Madera Canyon. With temps predicted to be in the low 70's and rain predicted for Thursday I did not want to waste this opportunity. It was well worth it. I added 13 more species to my Big January Count bringing my current total to 90 species for this year! I think I got some awesome photos which I hope to post within the next couple of days. We get our computer back tomorrow but on Friday Gus and I are planning a trip to Whitewater Draw to see Sandhill cranes. (Unless I change my mind which is always possible!)

On another note, I haven't even had time to mention that I was the featured blog on the Nature Blog Network for this month. You can see the post here or click on the link in the sidebar.

For now, I will update the Big January Master List with a full count of birds see and photos after I get my computer back. I am missing all of my fellow bloggers and I can't wait to get caught up with everyone and see how you are all doing!

9 comments:

Ruth said...

Congratulations on your family news and on reaching 90 in your bird count! Looking forward to your photos.

bobbie said...

I'd say you have been a little busy lately!

Congratulations on all counts! Such great news. I hope all stay well now.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Kathie, I'm exhausted just reading about everything in your life. Congratulations on all of your good news. I'm so happy for you! Take care now and get yourself well back on your feet before you start running forward!

CE Webster said...

Congratulations on all the good things, sorry about the sickness. I saw that Nature Blog Network feature-very nice!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a January, Kathie! Congratulations to Renee, Randy, Alex, Diane, and of course, you and Gus.

and good birding.

janet said...

I discovered your blog recently & enjoy reading about your birding adventures in the Tucson environs. I live up in Gilbert, AZ & have similar interests: birding this time of year in AZ is certainly a treat. Thanks for sharing so much of your life with the world!

Unknown said...

Great news about Renee and Randy!

Dawn Fine said...

Congrats on the NBN interview! Congrats on all the other good news!
Have been following everyones big january..

That white vermillion flycatcher down there looks purdy sweet..do u know if its still there?..

Celeste said...

Congratulations Kathie, it looks like 2010 has gotten off to a great start for you :) Great job on the NBN interview.