Friday, May 28, 2010

Horseshoe Fire Update

The Arizona Daily Star is now reporting the Horseshoe Fire in the Chiricahuas has grown to 900 acres. If you plan on birding in the Portal or Cave Creek Canyon area you might want to call ahead and check on conditions. According to the AZ Daily star, The fire has prompted authorities to close Cave Creek Road at the forest boundary near Portal to Turkey Creek Road.”

As for here in Sycamore Canyon the sun is shining brightly and the temperature is currently 84F/29C. We should hit our first 100F today.

At the feeders and in and around my yard today I have already seen Turkey vultures, Gambel’s Quail, Mourning doves, white-winged doves, rock pigeons, Costa's hummingbird, Gila woodpecker, gilded flickers, Ash-throated flycatcher, Cactus Wren, curve-billed thrashers, Northern Cardinal, canyon towhee, brown-headed cowbird, house finches, lesser goldfinches and house sparrows!

I’ve watered my new cactus garden, trimmed and pruned trees, flowers and bushes, filled bird feeders and bird baths, and fed the pets. Now I’m off to do housework before my grandson arrives for the weekend around noontime.  I know, I know, you are all waiting for pictures and details from the birding trip to Portal.  I am working on it! I hope to get it posted sometime today or early tomorrow morning! Until then, have a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend!

5 comments:

abb said...

Bet your weekend is chock-full of fun!

bobbie said...

I'm waiting for pictures of your grandson.

Sounds like quite a fire going there. Hope they get control quickly.

Gaelyn said...

Have a great visit with your grandson!

Margaret Cloud said...

Sorry to hear about the fire, they destroy more than anything on earth. Have a great time with your grandson ans enjoy Memorial Day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathie, we have a saying this side of the pond,
"A Woman's work is never done". {:)