Thursday, August 14, 2008

Skywatch Friday: Arizona Skies

Sunny Sky, Rt. 83 Elgin, AZ August 3, 2008

Monsoon Sky: Sycamore Canyon June 26, 2008


Sonoran Sunset Sky: Sycamore Canyon, August 10, 2008

(All of today's photos are by Kathie. Click on photos to enlarge. See shooting data below.)

All of today's photos show the many faces of the Arizona Sky. It is so easy to get Skywatch photos here in AZ, you just point and shoot! The Sunny Skies photo is new on the blog, but the other 2 photos are repeats. I consider them some of my best and I wanted to compare and contrast the different views. The bottom photo is from my most recent post, The Last Kiss of the Setting Sun. Lynne from Hasty Brook asked about my camera settings. Her question inspired this post and the camera settings are included below. I wish I could tell you that I know what I am doing, but basically I still have the camera set in auto mode. I am getting frustrated about the color saturation and white balance on some photos. I know it is time to take out the manual and read! As for the sunset photo, I thought I had not auto enhanced it, but after checking today to add the settings I realized that I had. However, while the auto enhancing did brightened the photo a little, the colors remain unchanged. This is the way it looked.

Thanks to Tom, Imac, Sandy and Klaus for hosting Skywatch Friday

View my other Sonoita Highway Skywatch photo at Kathie's Poet Tree

Shooting Data:

Sunny skies: Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G;Focal Length: 18mm;1/250 sec - F/10; Edits: Auto Enhance with Picture Project.

Monsoon skies: Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G; Focal Length: 18mm; 1/160 sec - F/6.3, Edits: None

Sonoran sunset sky: Lens: VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 G,Focal Length: 86mm;1/160 sec - F/9. Edits: brighten, sharpen, color enhance.

23 comments:

bobbie said...

All beautiful shots, Kathie. the last, of course, is the most dramatic. Really lovely.

Anonymous said...

That last picture is really hot. Or as they say these days, "Cool."

Nice photography.

Abraham

Juliana said...

wow...the last one is my fav

My SWF : Up and Down Thanks

Texas Travelers said...

Great and varied selection of photos. This is a triple WOW.

Well done.

Thanks for the visit,
Troy and Martha

EG CameraGirl said...

Arizona sure does have some pretty skies to show off! Nice!

Quiet Paths said...

All really pretty and give a good feel for your area. I can't pick a favorite. Wide open, hot sky. To answer your question about the Missouri river - upper Missouri near Great Falls, MT. Before the Great Falls, of course.

Kathie Brown said...

Quiet paths, I was gonna say, it didn't look like Missouri terrain!

Kelly said...

I love the variety of shots that you have! I like the last one best! Great job and wonderful pictures!

Anonymous said...

Nice, nice - but of course, living in AZ gives you an unfair advantage. :)

As soon as I looked at the first one, I heard Willie Nelson in the back of my brain, singing "On the Road Again." I love "road trip" photos.

CaBaCuRl said...

I love that last one....those HUGE blue skies & the road off into the distance...no-one else around....beautiful.

Doug Taron said...

Our Skywatches have something in common this week. They both include pictures of blue skies with cumulus clouds taken in Elgin. Of course, yours was in Elgin, Arizona and mine was in Elgin, Illinois. But, still...

Tom said...

These are great picture, and a very informative post... but what I really liked was the title of the post below... fantastic.

magiceye said...

all brilliant pics!


Do check out my Independence Day SkyWatch post here

LiseH said...

Great pictures!
The second one looks so dramatic!

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Sonoran sunset is beautiful!!
I love sizzly sunsets.

kjpweb said...

Wonderful shots! And no wonder the last one gets the most attraction - it really is special!
Cheers, Klaus

Pat - Arkansas said...

Sigh! Your photos remind me of what I miss most about the desert Southwest. Lovely Sky Watch.

Pappy said...

Views from the road less travelled. Good stuff. Pappy

Raven said...

Three lovely shots. I lived in Arizona for about 18 months and the skies were just gorgeous. Each of these shots is wonderful and a different face of the sky. I enjoyed scrolling down the page too. Lots of lovely photos of the desert and I really enjoyed the prickly pear post. Cool.

Mary said...

Well, gee, Kathy, you know a whole lot more than I do about settings! Manuals? Hate them. I was finally learning more about my camera when it gave up on me. I should learn more about "shooting data".

Those sky shots took my breath away. The monsoon photo is eerie.

I lived for three years in flat Delaware. I often commented to my husband on the spectacular sunrises and sunsets and oh how I wish I was addicted to photography then...

Great job!

Mary

Barb said...

Wow. Such variety, but that last is a real beauty, simply stunning. I thoroughly enjoyed your hike post, too. I hope they do not start mining again, for all the creatures of Nature's sake.

Flying Solo said...

Arizona skys are awesome!
Great post you have up there for today!

Torsdag 1952 said...

Sorry, I’m a little late because I was sailing this weekend.
So I stop by and say thank you for a nice SWF.