Thursday, September 25, 2008

End of Summer Series: Skywatch Friday/Monsoon Night

Monsoon Night by Kathiesbirds 8-5-08 Nikon D80 18mm, 2.20 sec - F/3.5
We bought our new Nikon D80 in January, but this was my first attempt at photographing the night sky. It was the evening of August 5 and Gus had just arrived home from work. A summer storm was rumbling in the dark clouds above and Gus and I decided to sit outside and enjoy the show from beneath our covered patio. I set the camera on the night mode button and held it as still as possible, since we don't have a tripod for it yet. I didn't even dare to breath as I braced myself against the patio pillar and listened for the slow release of the shutter.


Lightening photo by Kathiesbirds 8-5-08 Nikon D80 18mm, 2.50 sec - F/3.5

This next shot is a little blurry, but I got lucky with the lightening, which was what I was trying to capture in thousands of mega pixels. The Monsoon makes the summer humidity bearable for me. It is the price I pay to live here and shots like this show you why I love it so.

Click on the link to view more Skywatch Friday Photos. Thanks to our gracious hosts, IMac, Sandy, Klaus, and Old Wom Tigley himself!

Visit Kathie's Poet Tree to see Skywatch Friday: God's Eyes

27 comments:

Tom said...

Hi Kathie... I've had no luck what so ever with capturing lightening... so this set of pictures is all the more appreciated by me. Great post..Thank you for taking part in Sky Watch as you do.

Tom

Mine's Here

Texas Travelers said...

Great photos.
Lightning is really hard to catch. Great job.

Come visit anytime,
Troy and Martha

Anonymous said...

You live in the loveliest place on earth, and you capture it well.

Like Tom, I've never had any luck with lightening photos, but I keep trying.

Deborah Godin said...

Absolutely stunning!!! You've caught that wonderful half-moment of the shift between day and night, and the lightning shot in amazing -the wild light in the hills and the tame light inside the houses.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

STUNNING love these pictures and love the lightening shot and you do way better than me on the night shots mine are usually a real mess :)

Roses and Lilacs said...

Kathy those are beautiful. I love the shots of the coyote below. How perfect to catch her just at that second.
Marnie

Louise said...

Excellent photos! I'm impressed with the lack of tripod! And the lightning! Well, lightning has been elusive to me. Yours is spectacular!

Photo Cache said...

First time's the charm. Fantastic capture. The colors are fabulous.

Shelley said...

You did such a great job of capturing that lightening!!

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful! I can't believe you actually caught lightening! Happy Sky Watch!

Mary said...

wow, it's REALLY difficult to capture lightening! Love those clouds lit from beneath, too. happy swf. :)

bobbie said...

You did a beautiful job, Kathie. these are really something!

Alan Pulley said...

Cool photos Kathie! Very rich colors.

Have a good one!

Guy D said...

Looks like a UFO is about to come out of the clouds. Great pics!!!

http://reginainpictures.blogspot.com/

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I've never caught lightning--though I've dreamed of it.
Bravo!

BNS said...

Stunning colors, Kathie. I think you captured the lightning very well. I have not yet been able to photograph lightning to my satisfaction.

Bobbie

Enigma said...

There is NOTHING quite like sitting for a long time and watching a storm come in....breathtaking, especially seeing lightning. That you captured it -- even better! Thanks for sharing!

Woody said...

Thats a great shot! I have not had the chance to try and capture lightning yet...Both photos simply awesome!

me ann my camera said...

You are so fortunate to have captured the lightning in the night sky. This was a great shot!
ann

Arija said...

Oh Katie those are great photos, you actually caught the lightning!
It takes a while to work out all the possibilities of a new and complex camera. You did so well using a new setting.
The coyote below is an absolute miracle for a drive by shooting, hats off to your hubby for that.

Anonymous said...

Your efforts certainly paid off for you with that lightening strike. Nice job holding still. You must have nerves and muscles made from steel to hold still so long.

Doug Taron said...

The lightning photo is amazing. I like how the pink of the lightning plays against the dark blue of the night clouds.

Anne-Berit said...

Fantastic pictures.You have even catched the lighning there.Well done:o)

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Kathie, wonderful photos and am always impressed with the lightning ones. Great capture.

Celeste said...

I have never managed to capture lightning in a photo, great shot. Nice contrast of colours too.

Larry said...

I've always been fascinated by lightning ans storms in general.You did good in being able to capture the lightning in action!

kjpweb said...

Cool - you caught lightning! Super!
Cheers, Klaus