Wednesday, September 24, 2008

End of Summer Series: Rat: It's what for Dinner

Rat: It's What's for Dinner by Gus Nikon D80 70-300mm lens

On a Sunday evening in July Gus and I headed to Dairy Queen for one of our favorite treats. As we headed out the door I grabbed the camera in case we saw anything interesting on our way. We'd just returned from New England and the Monsoon was in full force. The monsoon rains cause all kinds of activity and excitement. You never know what you might see. We'd gone less than a half a mile when we spotted this coyote on the hunt. Since it was on the driver's side of the car Gus was the one who got to take these shots. Yes, we could see this from the road and we never left our vehicle to snap these photos.

Coyote with pack rat photo by Gusto! 7-20-08 Nikon D80 70-300mm lens

This was shortly after our experience with the pack rat in our yard, so I didn't feel too sorry for the creature. Thank you mister (or miss) coyote for keeping the balance of nature in check!

However, the presence of coyotes and other wildlife in Sycamore Canyon is also one of the reasons you should not let your cats out side at all! Coyotes will eat cats just as quickly as they will gobble up a pack rat. The desert is no place for domestic animals to be on the loose. Since moving here I have seen numerous signs posted on mailboxes and fence posts in a desperate plea to find a lost pet. Beside coyotes, owls will also eat cats and kittens. So, for your pet's own safety, please keep them inside and enjoy our wonderful wildlife outside!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photographs are stunning. Jack did good. The next best part of this post is the lament of people let their pets out into the wilderness and wonder why kitty doesn't come back.

I might add that my neighbor has a tiny Toy Fox Terrier and lets it out at night when it had to go pee. Their yard is fenced. The little dog was almost eaten up by a male raccoon (they think it was) and was bitten pretty bad here and there. It is now about 14, totally blind and totally depends on the owners for everything.

I had never heard of this before but their vet told them it happens a lot and kittens are a more common victim.

That coyote is a beautiful animal with a coat that looks really great. He or she must be getting the right kinds of food to look like that and doesn't depend on garbage like they do around here.

Pappy said...

I guess it pays to have larger pets in your area Kathie. Perhaps an Armadillo could survive with its armor plating. Pappy

Doug Taron said...

Great shots, especially the first one. And excellent advice, too.

Amila Salgado said...

Wow - that's a mouthful! Great captures and an interesting post.
You see some good stuff there.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

That rat really IS a mouthful!
Wonderful pix Gus!

Deborah Godin said...

I know a lot of people have trouble with them, but I do love coyotes. That face shot is a total classic - gosh, they both are! I've got the perfect condiment over at my place...

Kyle said...

Wow, what a great catch! We never find treats like this at our DQ!

Shelley said...

Just incredible shots - love seeing the chain of nature!

Kathie Brown said...

Abe, your story is a nice addendum to mine. Thanks for adding it to this post. Nature is beautiful but sometime we forget that it is wild, untamed and unpredictible! Poor little dog!

Pappy, you must have coyotes down there, don't you? I'm sure the armadillo would be better prepared. I don't know if it could survive an attack though. Interesting question to research.

Thanks Doug.

Thanks Gasllicissa, I do see interesting stuff all the time. So far it is never boring here.

Lynne, the coyote looks like it is about to choke on it, but it actually ran off down the middle of the road with that thing dangling out of its mouth! To me that would seem like running with a sock in your mouth! I'd be a goner for sure.

Deborah, I love the sound of their howls and cries and I will be right over to see what you suggest...

Kyle, I am LOL! I never made that connection but you are right! And I hope they don't start serving it up anytime soon!

Kathie Brown said...

shellmo, thanks. Me too (sometimes)!

Celeste said...

Great photos a classic case of being in the right place at the right time!

kjpweb said...

Yikes! Gross but true to nature! What a moment to capture! Kudos!
Cheers, Klaus

Ruth said...

Great shots, both in subject matter and in quality. I like the setting of the second with all those cactus blooms. The first one is quite amusing.

Unknown said...

Great capture! I love the smug look on the coyotes face as well. :)

Larry said...

That is really cool! We have coyotes in Portland but I never know when and where they will show up.-I always wish That I'd have my camera with me when I see one.-Great shot!

Kathryn said...

What a mouthful!! Love the shots.