Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Arrival of the Pigs

Pig portrait 7-7-09

When I first returned from Connecticut I discovered that the pigs have come. Yes, that’s right pigs. Winged pigs. Greedy feathered beast that drop from the air on my feeders and chase away all the other birds in their greed to gobble up as much seed as possible in the shortest amount of time.

P-I-G-eons.

As a result, I have modified my bird feeding and it seems to have helped. Whereas before I was feeding black oil sunflower seed along with quail blocks, thistle seed, and a peanut feeder I now only feed thistle seed, peanuts and nectar.



While I am not getting as many birds at my feeders, I am getting more of the kind that I want to see. Though a few house sparrows, house finches and mourning doves still hang around, there are not the hoards that I saw before and I don’t miss them. The sweet lesser goldfinches and numerous migrating hummingbirds more than make up for it and I do still get a canyon towhee or a black-throated sparrow once in awhile.


Rufous Hummingbird 8-24-09

Male Black-chinned hummingbird 8-24-09


Winged PIGS! 7-7-09


As for the pigs, I can still see a huge flock downhill from me in another neighborhood. I have heard that someone down there actually LIKES them and encourages them to come and feed at her house. All I know is that I can see a flock of 30 to 40 birds soaring over the rooftops to the northeast of me and I don’t want them here! Perhaps someone should tell her about the gas station awning that collapsed in Yuma, Arizona last year just from the weight of the accumulated pigeon droppings!

11 comments:

bobbie said...

don't blame you for not wanting the pigs around. The birds that still come are very much more to my liking too. The hummers are so lovely!

Deborah Godin said...

Oh my, I guess all those things that were going to happen 'when pigs fly' will now come to pass?!?!

Carolyn Ford said...

I thought the same thing as the previous commenter! So...pigs really do fly! Beautiful photos...the little hummers are always a treat to see!

Bernie said...

Ah Kathie, pigeons need to eat too! Just wish we could teach them some manners and how to share. Love the photo's....especially the hummers......:-) Hugs

Gaelyn said...

I think even the PIGeons need to eat. But I don't have too many at my winter feeders.

Doug Taron said...

>...the gas station awning that collapsed in Yuma, Arizona last year just from the weight of the accumulated pigeon droppings....

Eeww!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree! Only occasionally, do pigeons stop in, thank goodness.

This is the second time this week that I have seen flickers at a feeder on someone's blog. Our seem to just poke in the ground. What do they like?

Kathie Brown said...

bobbie, the hummers are a great consolation!

Deborah, I cetainly hope not!

Carolyn, You and Deborah make me laugh! I was so mad at the birds I didn't even think of how funny that sounded!

Bernie, I just wish the pigs would stay in the city where they belong!

gaelyn, be thankful for that. I know they need to eat, but they sure do know how to take over a feeder!

Doug, I agree!

Fourwinds, I had pigeons move into my yard and take over my feeders right before I moved away from Maine. They truly ruined my bird feeding there for me.

As for the flickers, they like peanuts and suet, though it is too hot for suet out here right now. The ones you see in the east are eating ants off the ground.

Celeste said...

Well look on the bright side Kathie, your crazy neighbour will certainly be increasing your chances of Peregrine sightings!

Mary said...

I don't get pigeons, but the House Sparrows and Doves occasionlly drive me crazy! I try to put more in hanging feeders they can't access, but then the Cardinals and Chipping Sparrows aren't happy. Finding the right balance is hard at times.

Dawn Fine said...

hee hee.. P I G eons very cute...